Tuesday, June 25, 2013

8.) Broken Vibe June 25, 2013


Greetings from the New York Summer Music Festival in Oneonta, NY.  I've managed to get something posted here, and actually quite early in the week.  Being a little paranoid with the uncertainty of my schedule, I decided to take advantage of the time I've had free and get to work.

Doing this without my usual setup was a bit frustrating, but I've made do.  As I suspected, the recording quality is not as good.  I'm recording directly into Soundcloud with my telephone.  And I'm making the scores on an iPad app called Notion.  They're on the right track with Notion, but there are many things that I can't get to look exactly how I would like.  And the only way I could figure out how to get it to google docs was to take a screen shot and upload a jpg.  Hopefully it's still readable.

Anyway, moving onto the music.  I went looking through Messiaen's modes to find one that could be manipulated into a bluesy sound, and I found that the blues scale is entirely represented in mode four with the exception of the fifth scale degree.  It was very interesting how badly I wanted to use that fifth degree when composing the melody.  But avoiding it probably pushed me into some new territory, and that's what this project is all about, so...good.

It's beautiful up here in Oneonta.  Clear clean air.  Quiet.  It's nice to spend some time on a real college campus again; makes me want to practice more.

No comments:

Post a Comment